AARCH has been the recipient of several important grants supporting our work and the development of the Heritage Center. To date we have received funding from these organizations:
- Maryland Bond Initiative – $150,000
- MCAAHC MD Commission of African American History & Culture – $100,000
- Delaplaine Foundation, Inc. – $80,000
- Frederick County to support the development of the Heritage Center – $50,000
- Maryland Heritage Area Authority Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area matching grant for exhibit planning – $50,000
- The Ausherman Family Foundation for interpretive planning for the Heritage Center- $25,000
- The Community Foundation of Frederick County:
- Charles V. and Louise D. Main Endowment Fund to improve our communications capacity including website and social media upgrades – $8,000
- unrestricted funds – $4,219
- Impact Grant from the William O. Lee and Family Fund to purchase museum management software – $586
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Non-profit Recovery Initiative for operations – $10,000
- FirstEnergy Foundation – $10,000
- The Tourism Council of Frederick County matching grant for the design of a new logo and development of window graphics for the new Heritage Center -$7,500
- Maryland Humanities CARES Emergency grant for operations – $5,150
- Rotary Club of Frederick – $2,000
- Frederick Mutual Insurance Company – $1,000
- Frederick Arts Council to create window graphics on the exterior of the Heritage Center – $750
We are grateful for the generosity and support of our Frederick community.
Two local architectural firms teamed up to lead the design of the new African American Heritage Center. Proffit & Associates and ZA+D are providing pro bono services to guide AARCH’s vision in creating a new facility in commercial space on the ground floor of the East All Saints Street Parking garage.
A social-distanced site inspection was the first step. From left to right: David Key, John Matheis, Seaven Gordon, and Bruce Zavos.