A considerable portion of AARCH’s work is carried out by committees, composed of volunteers and board members. The Committees and their duties may change over time. Committee members must be dedicated to AARCH’s mission, and may have expertise in their area of focus or just have interest in the subject area. Our committees and duties are:
- COLLECTIONS: To inventory, preserve, manage, develop and store artifacts owned by AARCH or which are currently on loan to AARCH and establish policies and procedures for the use of the collections.
- DISPLAYS: To plan, design and secure displays in conjunction with the Collections, Education and History Research Committees.
- FINANCE: To ensure the organization’s financial stability by providing accurate financial reports, implementing audits and delivering oversight on budgets.
- EDUCATION: To plan and develop programs, presentations and events to engage students, schools and the community.
- COMMUNICATION: To promote and publicize AARCH and AARCH initiatives, publish periodic newsletters, maintain website.
- SPEAKERS BUREAU: To provide speakers for community presentations.
- HISTORY RESEARCH: To develop a particular expertise in African American genealogy and family history; to create a broad research agenda to document all aspects of African American history in Frederick County; to plan for a research room/library to serve the public in the new Heritage Center.
- The “Mob Fairly Howled”: Lynching in Frederick County, Maryland, 1879-1895, Dean Herrin © March 2020
- Journey to Juneteenth, Presentation for the Historical Society of Frederick County, Dean Herrin – June 9, 2009
- PROGRAM: There are several standing committees that manage our ongoing programs.
If you are interested in working on and helping one of the committees, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like to join AARCH, please visit our Membership page. You can submit an online membership application and pay AARCH dues there. Thank you!